It’s time for the January ritual of promising yourself you’ll get in shape or lose weight. The reality is, most people don’t stick with it longer than a month or two – mainly because they don’t have a plan. But, you can start nailing those goals if you follow these 5 simple tips!
- HAVE A PLAN – Look at your schedule and decide what days and times work best for you and treat those days and times like appointments that you can’t miss! Write them down, put them on a calendar on the fridge, schedule reminders – whatever it takes to keep you on that schedule!
- FIND YOUR TRIBE – It’s hard to stay motivated when you go it alone. There isn’t anyone to encourage you, or drag you to the gym when you aren’t “feeling it.” Explore your options, visit area gyms and look to see the interactions that members have with each other, the trainers and the staff. Is it friendly? Do they know each other by name? Do members linger after class, or hustle out the door? Very often the camaraderie at the gym leads to friendships, more motivation, accountability and the willingness to stick with it!
- PACE YOURSELF – There’s nothing that will sideline good intentions faster than pushing yourself too hard, too fast. This is not a competition, and you need to remember that everyone is at a different place in their fitness journey. Find a gym that will guide you toward the right pace for your fitness level.
- SET REALISTIC GOALS – Yes, you’re motivated. That is great! But, if your goals are unrealistic, you’ll quickly lose your motivation and ultimately, give up. If your gym offers it, set up a fitness evaluation or goal strategy session before you begin the program. An honest discussion about your goals, limitations, and expectations will help them suggest the best program for you and help you set realistic expectations.
- YOU CAN’T OUT TRAIN A BAD DIET – Not only do poor eating habits limit your ability to maximize the effects of your workout, you just won’t be able to shift the scale if you don’t change what or how much you’re eating. Find a gym or program that offers nutrition coaching, simple meal plans, or other nutritional guidance. The combination of healthy eating and exercise is essential for realizing your goals!
Are you ready now? Great! Fitness is a very important investment in your long-term health and happiness and with the right plan, expectations, and mindset, you can make it happen! We’re here to help you every step of the way — just give us a call at 703-754-0161!Learn about our Body Transformation Program!