By Courtney Zinzi
Next Level Fitness & Performance
Whose idea was it to name one of our most essential nutrients the same thing that makes people hate their own bodies? It’s time to wake up and open our eyes, and our mouths, to the idea of fat in our diets!
Think of nutrition like a 3-legged stool: One leg is Protein, one leg is Carbs and the Other is Fat. Just like a 3-legged stool with one leg missing will fall over, the same can happen to your body when one essential macro is missing or isn’t supporting the other two. Healthy Fat promotes good health by providing a great source of energy, lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
If you want to get healthier and lose weight, it’s essential that you incorporate a variety of healthy sources of fats into your diet throughout the day. Healthy Fats include:
- Fish (especially fatty fish like Salmon. If you don’t eat a lot of fish – or any – take fish oil supplements)
- Nuts (especially Almonds and Walnuts)
- Seeds (Chia and Flaxseed)
- Olive Oil or Olives (use EVOO, Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Coconut OIl
- Dark Chocolate (no more than 1 oz, minimum of 70% dark chocolate)
- Whole Eggs (as in the yolk and the whites!)
- Full Fat Plain Greek Yogurt (avoid added flavors or fruit. Use fresh fruit instead)
AVOID AVOID AVOID – TRANS FATS. Don’t take this lightly – these fats can literally kill you. Check your ingredient labels, make sure there are no hydrogenated oils of any kind. Processed food items like baked goods, crackers/snacks, fried food, refrigerated dough, margarine and most creamers should be eliminated from your diet. At a minimum, they’re empty calories in terms of nutrition, but can mean added inches to your waistline!
If you’d like some help getting a handle on your nutrition, we have two Certified Nutrition Coaches on staff to help you! Call us at 703-884-2435.