Who doesn’t like the delicious and aromatic combination of fresh mozzarella, basil and tomato? Combine it with Chicken and a side of roasted broccoli and you have a tasty, low carb, healthy meal the whole family will love! Check out this recipe from myfitnesspal.com.
Caprese Chicken & Roasted Broccoli
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (6 ounces each or 340 grams total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, chopped (680 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced (90 grams)
- 2 sprigs basil, leaves thinly chopped
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella (1 ounce or 28 grams per slice)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice the chicken breasts in half and then season and tenderize with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, garlic and olive oil. Toss half with the broccoli and spread out onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 25 minutes, shaking midway.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then grill chicken on both sides for about 2 minutes (If grill pan isn’t large enough to fit all the chicken pieces, transfer grilled pieces to a sheet pan). Transfer chicken to the oven and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add a slice of mozzarella to each chicken breast.
When chicken is done, top cheese with a basil leaf and tomato slice. Drizzle with rest of the sauce, and enjoy with your crunchy, roasted broccoli.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/2 chicken breast
Per serving: Calories: 341; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Sodium: 502mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 26g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 700mg; Iron: 9%; Vitamin A: 43%; Vitamin C: 263%; Calcium: 22%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Serve with a side salad (1 cup salad greens + 2 tablespoons vinaigrette) to increase calories and fiber. (Per serving: Calories: 491; Fat: 32g; Carbohydrate: 20g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 28g)