On a cold, snowy day like today, sometimes you crave a big stack of pancakes – especially after shoveling snow. It’s ok, you can have pancakes, just keep them healthy! Check out this recent PopSugar post for Gluten-Free Almond Pancakes featured in the Wheat Belly Cookbook. Yum!
Need to sweeten it up? Don’t undo your great effort to eat healthy by pouring on the artificial syrup! Try Greek yogurt and fresh fruit. If you must use syrup, use real maple syrup sparingly.
3 cups almond meal
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, light coconut milk, or milk
2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil, walnut oil, coconut oil, or butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, flaxseed, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the milk and oil or butter and whisk thoroughly.
- Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Add more milk as necessary, one tablespoon at a time, to reach pancake-batter consistency.
- Lightly oil a skillet and heat over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the skillet. Cook for three minutes, or until bubbles form and edges are cooked. Flip and cook for three minutes or until underside is lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Makes 14 four-inch pancakes. The following nutritional information is for one pancake made with unsweetened almond milk and coconut oil.