Make Your Fajitas “Skinny” with this great recipe from skinnytaste.com
Next Level’s Nutrition Coach Brittany Scott likes this recipe for anyone craving a healthier fajita. In fact, she suggests making it even healthier, without losing the “yum” factor, by making two simple changes.
Change #1: Replace the whole wheat tortilla with gluten-free tortilla’s, or make it even healthier by using a lettuce wrap instead.
Change #2: Replace the sour cream with greek yogurt. Most of our clients tell us they don’t notice the difference in the taste!
Skinny Chicken Fajitas
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green or poblano pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch ancho or Mexican chile powder, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 reduced carb whole wheat flour tortillas (use gluten-free to make it healthier!)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mexican cheese
- optional: reduced fat sour cream (use greek yogurt to make it healthier)
- optional: guacamole
Marinate the chicken with lime juice, and season with chile powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin. Season vegetables with salt and pepper and toss with olive oil. To grill the onions and peppers outside on the grill, use a cast iron skillet and grill covered over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Or, to cook them indoors, you can use a large skillet on the stove over medium heat for 16 to 18 minutes, covered until the onions and peppers are soft.
Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat; grill chicken until cooked through, about 8 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board when done and cut into strips. Once cooked, combine with the peppers and onions. Serve immediately with warmed tortillas, cheese and toppings.
Makes 4 cups chicken and vegetables