Today’s Brittany approved dinner idea is Quinoa Salad with Orange-Blossom Vinaigrette
1 cup orange juice
¾ cup orange blossom honey
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
1 cup olive oil
½ cup red quinoa, uncooked
1 cup vegetable stock
1 sprig rosemary
¼ cup butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
½ granny smith apple, diced
¼ cup Swiss chard, sautéed until wilted
¼ cup green beans, blanched (to blanch, submerge beans in boiling water
for 3 minutes with lid on the pot, then transfer to a bowl of ice water
to stop the green beans from cooking further)
2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
1. Heat orange juice in a pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
medium and simmer, stirring often, until orange juice has a syrupy
consistency and has reduced to ½ cup, about 15 minutes.
2. When orange juice has cooled, stir in the honey, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Set aside.
3. Cook quinoa in vegetable stock according to instructions on package,
adding a sprig of rosemary while cooking. When cooked, drain the quinoa
and toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
4. Meanwhile, spread butternut squash on a baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until tender.
5. Heat apples, Swiss chard, and green beans for two minutes over
medium heat in a sauté pan. Don’t overcook the mixture—apples should
6. Toss roasted squash and sautéed ingredients with quinoa, and dress with vinaigrette.
7. Garnish with toasted slivered almonds.